Performance Measurement and Control Systems for Implementing Strategy Text and Cases:International Edition
For undergraduate Management Control Systems courses and other MBA Management Accounting and Control electives.
This book represents an innovative new approach to management control systems, based on the latest research and practice. Using a carefully integrated structure, it shows how today's managers use both financial and non-financial controls to drive strategies of profitable growth in rapidly changing markets.
- New accounting techniques-Profit wheel analysis (integrates profit planning, cash flow, and ROE analysis with business strategy) and Strategic profitability analysis (strategic variances).
- Text material is supported by all-new, Harvard-tested cases.
- Two early chapters on strategy and structure.
- Provides the most comprehensive presentation of the Balanced Scorecard approach by one of its originators.
- The Levers of Control framework.
- A carefully integrated structure.
Table of Contents
I. FOUNDATIONS FOR IMPLEMENTING STRATEGY 1. Organizational Tensions to be Managed.
2. Basics for Successful Strategy.
3. Organizing for Performance.
4. Using Information for Performance Measurement and Control.
II. CREATING PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS 5. Building a Profit Plan.
6. Evaluating Strategic Profit Performance.
7. Designing Asset Allocation Systems.
8. Linking Performance to Markets.
9. Building a Balanced Scorecard.
III. ACHIEVING PROFIT GOALS AND STRATEGIES 10. Using Diagnostic and Interactive Control Systems.
11. Aligning Performance Goals and Incentives.
12. Identifying Strategic Risk.
13. Managing Strategic Risk.
14. Levers of Control for Implementing Strategy.
IV. CASE STUDIES ATH Technologies, Inc.: Making the Numbers.
MCI Communications: Planning for the 1990s.
Asea Brown Boveri.
ABB: Accountability Times Two (A).
ABB: Accountability Times Two (B).
ABB: The ABACUS System.
Roy Rogers Restaurants.
Codman & Shurtleff, Inc.: Planning and Control System.
Hanson Ski Products.
Walker and Company: Profit Plan Decisions.
Compagnie du Froid, S.A.
Texas Eastman Company.
Burlington Northern: The ARES Decision (A).
Tennessee Controls: The Strategic Ranking Problem.
Birch Paper Company.
Purity Steel Corporation, 1995.
Western Chemical Corporation: Divisional Performance Measurement.
Chadwick, Inc.: The Balanced Scorecard.
Mobil USM&R (A): Linking the Balanced Scorecard.
Citibank: Performance Evaluation.
Nordstrom: Dissension in the Ranks? (A).
Turner Construction Company: Project Management Control Systems.
Mary Kay Cosmetics: Sales Force Incentives (A).
Duckworth Industries, Inc.-Incentive Compensation Programs.
Kidder, Peabody, & Co.: Creating Elusive Profits.
Westchester Distributing, Inc. (A).
Automatic Data Processing: The EFS Decision.
Hamilton Financial Investments: A Franchise Built on Trust.
Automation Consulting Services.
Becton Dickinson-Designing the New SOF Planning Process.
Guidant Corporation: Shaping Culture Through Systems.