For courses in business mathematics at the freshman/sophomore levels, including courses where instructors demand somewhat more rigor than competitive texts permit.
Mathematics for Business provides solid, practical, up-to-date coverage of the mathematical techniques students must master to succeed in business today. This Ninth Edition takes a more integrated, holistic approach, and places far greater emphasis on analysis. Business statistics coverage has been moved towards the front, where students are taught to read and interpret graphs and tables; these skills are repeatedly reinforced throughout. Scores of new examples include visual Stop & Think sections that help students understand current events. This text includes algebra where needed to impart real understanding, and covers crucial topics other books ignore, including reading financial statements.
Comprehensive coverage-including all the topics students need to prepare for basic business applications, retailing, finance, and accounting
- Gives students the information they need to succeed in a wide variety of business roles and environments
- Gives instructors maximum flexibility to pick and choose based on their own curricula; offers greater opportunity to create custom texts
Algebraic approach-for faculty wanting somewhat more rigor than competitive books
- Promotes a deeper understanding of the topics students really need to master
- May satisfy state requirements that include algebra
Coverage of crucial topics other books ignore- including payroll records and quarterly returns, inflation and the time value of money, distribution of profits in a corporation, range and standard deviation, and index numbers
- Gives students a truly comprehensive view of business mathematics and statistics, while refusing to “dumb down” topic coverage
Personal finance coverage and examples-including updated examples related to student debt, retirement planning, and other personal financial topics
- Makes the book more directly relevant to more students
Extensive pedagogical tools-including lists of chapter terms linked to page numbers; quick topic reviews and review exercises; business application cases; and an extensive set of boxed features, including scientific calculator examples
- Provides all the tools, information, and guidance students need to learn more rapidly and gain deeper mastery
Includes more than 360 exercises checking basic math skills-helping instructors test and improve their students' reading and comprehension skills and work on key concepts such as percentage
- Gives students the foundation in basic math that they will need to succeed with business math