I.4-E Methods for Teaching Science
1. What is the Nature of Science?
How Do Children Perceive Science?
What Changes Have Occurred in Elementary Science?
The Nature of Science
Three Essential Features of Science
The Aims of Standards and Research-Based Education
2. How do Children Learn Science?
What Role Does Brain Development and Processing Play in Learning?
Where Do Children's Ideas Come From and How Do They Influence Learning?
What Is the Dominant Perspective About How Children Learn Science?
What Techniques and Roles Support Constructivist Learning?
3. How Can You Improve Science Learning for Diverse Learners?
Science For All
Science for Exceptional Children
How Can Parents Help Meet Children's Special Needs?
4. How Do You Plan for the Inquiry-Based Classroom?
Using the National Science Education Standards and Promoting Inquiry.
Planning Constructive Inquiry Science Lessons
5. What Inquiry Methods Help Learners to Construct Understanding?
What is Scientific Literacy?
Science as Inquiry for Literacy
Methods that Use Inquiry to Promote Student Concept Formation
Techniques for Promoting Student Cooperation
Recommendations for Enhancing Student's Learning of Science
6. How Can You Use Questions to Foster Scientific Inquiry?
Questions on Questions
What Are the Different Types of Questions?
What Are the Keys to Effective Questioning?
How Can You Improve Your Questioning?
Why Use Students' Questions
7. How Do You Develop and Use Authentic Assessment?
Evaluating Student Learning
Selecting the Tool for the Task.
8. How Does Technology Enrich Scientific Inquiry?
Why Use Educational Technology?
How Can Educational Technology Be Applied in the Context of Science Teaching?
What Is Integration?
9. How Do You Plan for and Integrate Science with Other Disciplines?
Approaches to Integration
Challenges to Integration
10. How Can You Design and Manage a Safe Inquiry-Based Science Classroom?
Recommendations for Safe Science Experiences
How Do You Plan for Safety?
What Are Your Legal Responsibilities?
Performing Safety Assessments
What Materials are Necessary for the Activities?
A Final Thought
11. What Materials and Resources Promote Inquiry-Based Science?
Selecting and Using Textbooks
Resources for Best Practices
II. 4-E Inquiry Lessons for Teaching Science
Life Science Lessons and Activities
Physical Science Lessons and Activities
Earth and Space Science Activities
Appendix: National Science Education Standards: Contents Standards for Grades K-4 and 5-8.