For courses in Business Statistics.
Berenson shows students how statistics is used in each functional area of business.
Relevancy of Statistics in Other Disciplines
Students need a frame of reference when learning statistics, especially when it is not their major.
Using Statistics Business Scenario These chapter-opening vignettes show how the topics that will be discussed in the chapter are used in accounting, finance, information systems, management, or marketing. Revisited throughout the chapter, these examples allow students to understand the relevancy of topics to their future careers.
Business Software in the Real-World
Integrating business software into all aspects of an introductory statistics course allows the course to focus on interpretation of results instead of computations.
Chapter 19 teaches students about real-world statistical analysis and asks them to apply what they have learned so far in real situations, preparing them for future careers.
Expanded Hands-On Software
To further prepare students for their future careers, separate and expanded appendices for using Microsoft Excel, Minitab, and PHStat2 have been added:
- Contains instructions for using all versions of Excel
- New PHStat2 version (2.8) contains new procedures
- Minitab appendices feature the use of Minitab 15, the latest Minitab version, but are also fully compatible with Minitab 14
Chapter-Ending Web Cases
For the first 17 chapters, web cases have been added to teach students how to identify misuses of statistical information, sift through claims and assorted information, and determine whether the conclusions and claims are supported by the data.
Emphasis on RESULTS
Computer software is an integral part of learning statistics. The authors focus on data analysis by interpreting the results from Microsoft Excel or Minitab while reducing emphasis on doing computations. Examples include:
- Focus on the interpretation of tables and charts, not construction by hand; Chapter 2.
- Emphasis on the p-value approach throughout chapters that cover hypothesis testing; Chapters 9-12