Medical Language is constructed around one key conept. IMMERSION.
All the features and pedagogy have been developed with the idea of immersion into learning medical language.
How close do you see the connection between learning medical terminology and learning a foreign language?
At the very core of Turley, Medical Language is the idea of immersing students in medical language as you would when teaching any foreign language.
Would an uncluttered desgin with lots of rich images and enough white space for note taking be appealing ?
• Design - Students and instructors alike told us they wanted an appealing, uncluttered design with lots of rich images and enough white space to allow for note taking. The result of these requests are evident when opening up the book, a rich, modern & visual design.
Would a greater quantity and variety of exercises be of value to your students?
• Exercises - Turley, Medical Language has more exercises than any other medical terminology book on the market, thus allowing for maximum opportunity to reinforce learning.
Do you think colorful and interesting illustrations would be attractive to your students?
• Illustrations - Students and instructors alike suggested that we have Highly Visual Illustrations and Photographs that brings medical language to life and stimulates understanding, especially for visual
learners. They also wanted various opportunities to label those images as practice opportunities.
How do you provide additional context to your students about a word or term?
• Special Boxed Features - Students asked for highlight boxes that would help break up the reading and also provide them with opportunities to learn something new or interesting about a term- thereby providing additional context.
An assortment of special feature boxes designed to spark reader curiosity and understanding.
Across the Lifespan - An infusion of relevant information related to pediatrics and geriatrics.
A Closer Look - A quick close-up glance at a pertinent detail focusing on the material being covered.
Did You Know? - Fun, interesting information to stimulate reader curiosity about the material being covered.
Connections - Opportunities for readers to see the relationships between respective medical specialties
Word Alert Important notes about the nuances, meanings, and peculiarities of selected terms.
Medical Language Key - A hint related to the construction of word parts that builds readers' grasp of word building concepts.
It's All Greek to Me - Reminders about how Greek and Latin forms remain part of medical language today.
Would you prefer a medical specialties approach to your textbook, rather than an anatomical body systems organization?
• Medical Specialties Approach - A substantial majority (75%) of instructors told us that they prefer a medical specialties approach, rather than an anatomical body systems organization.
How important is it for your students to learn to build medical words? Does your current text focus on Word Building?
• Focus on WordBuilding-
Another substantial majority of instructors (over 70%) asked for a focus on word building, and suggested that we present the analysis of roots, suffixes, prefixes, and combining forms throughout each
chapter and not simply at the end of each chapter or in isolated boxes. The final outcome, Turley Medical Language has continual opportunities for world building by way of a word analysis section that appears each time a new medical term is introduced.
How do you incorporate medical reports into your course to enhance the learning experience?
• Medical Report Activities - Instructors suggested that we include an activity in each chapter that challenges students to analyze an actual medical report.
FOR THE STUDENT:
STUDENT CD-ROM Packaged FREE with every copy of the textbook this revolutionary CD-ROM maximizes readers' opportunity to reinforce concepts and practice what they have learned in each chapter.
The CD-ROM is organized into eight primary learning modules-
1. Anatomy Word Parts Flashcards - A unique program that invites students to create and edit their own flashcards or to select a preprogrammed collection.
2. Medicine in Action - Dynamic videos and animations that highlight a condition, disease, or disorder discussed in the chapter, bringing the content to life.
3. Disease and Other Word Parts Flashcards - Using the same system as the anatomy flashcards, this is a specific set that focuses on diseases, tests, procedures, surgeries, and careers.
4. Memory Aids - An array of tips and suggestions designed to help students remember medical words in a fun and engaging way.
5. Medical Language Spoken Here - A spelling exercise that prompts users to complete a medical report by listening to authentic physician dictation.
6. Spelling Challenge - A collection of the 20 most difficult words in each chapter is presented to build students' listening and spelling skills.
7. Medical Language Pronunciation - A complete audio glossary with pronunciation of key words in each chapter. Students are encouraged to pronounce the words and check off their progress.
8. Educational Fun & Games - An array of fun challenges such as Beat the Clock, Quest for a Million, Racing Pulse, Crossword, Strikeout, and more.
VangoNotes - Medical Language has VangoNotes available.
Study on the go with VangoNotes. Just download chapter reviews from your text and listen to them on any mp3 player. Now wherever you are--whatever you're doing--you can study by listening to the following for each chapter of your textbook:
· Big Ideas: Your “need to know” for each chapter
· Practice Test: A gut check for the Big Ideas - tells you if you need to keep studying
· Key Terms: Audio “flashcards” to help you review key concepts and terms
· Rapid Review: A quick drill session - use it right before your test
VangoNotes are flexible; download all the material directly to your player, or only the chapters you need. And they're efficient. Use them in your car, at the gym, walking to class, wherever. So get yours today. And get studying.
ONLINE - Turley Medical Language has several online options including MY MED TERM LAB, One Key and a Companion Website.
To foster an active approach to learning we have created a dynamic array of interactive applications on the web.
Companion Website-Students and faculty will both benefit from the FREE Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/turley. This website serves as a text-specific, interactive online workbook to Medical Language.
The Companion Website includes:
• A variety of quizzes in multiple-choice, true/false, labeling, fill-in-theblank, and essay formats that offer immediate scoring and feedback.
• Audio glossary in which key terms in the book are pronounced.
• Syllabus Manager™. Faculty adopting this textbook have free access to the online Syllabus Manager feature of the Companion Website. It offers a host of features that facilitate the students' use of the Companion Website, and allows faculty to post syllabi and course information online for their students. For more information or a demonstration of Syllabus Manager, please visit www.prenhall.com/demo, click Companion Web Sites then Syllabus Manager Tour.
• Drug Updates that allow users to search for current drug information and updates for the drugs discussed in each chapter.
• Links to updates on news items related to healthcare from the New York Times.
MY MED TERM LABMyMedTermLab - The most robust, dynamic online medical terminology course available today! Compatible within BlackBoard and WebCT learning environments, this revolutionary self-paced program engages students in activities, assessments, and rich media that is unmatched in the market. Features include:
- Integrated eBook - This provides a one-to-one match with the text and a wide variety of options to integrate links to media and assessment directly onto the text page.
- Flexible and customizable organization - Each lesson is broken into small chunks that can be re-ordered, deleted, and customized by instructors using Blackboard or WebCT. This allows for the course to be optimally tailored to specific course needs.
- Tracking and progress report functions - These tools allow instructors and students alike to monitor and assess progress. A special “Progress Report” feature allows students to print, save, and email results. While other comparable courses only allow for tracking of results one complete chapter at a time, MyMedTermLab provides for several mid-chapter progress-tracking opportunities.
- An active, media-rich, and visual approach that prompts students to employ multiple learning styles rather than simply reading off a screen.
MyMedTermLab is truly a one-of-a-kind learning tool and serves as a perfect compliment to traditional instruction.
Online Course Management Systems-Those instructors wishing to facilitate on-line courses will be able to access OneKey, which is our premium on-line course management option. OneKey is an integrated online resource that brings a wide array of supplemental resources together in one convenient place for both students and faculty. OneKey features everything you and your students need for out-of-class work, conveniently organized to match your syllabus. OneKey's online course management solution features interactive modules, text and image PowerPoints, animations, videos, case studies, and more. OneKey also provides course management tools so faculty can customize course content, build online tests, create assignments, enter grades, post announcements, communicate with students, and much more. Testing materials, gradebooks, and other instructor resources are available in a separate section that can be accessed by instructors only. OneKey content is available in three different platforms. A nationally hosted version is available in the reliable, easy-to-use CourseCompass platform. The same content is also available for download to locally hosted versions of BlackBoard and WebCT.
A complete instructional support package, including test bank, animation-enhanced PowerPoint lectures, and a set of career orientation videos called Real People, Real Medicine.
Medical Language offers a rich array of ancillary materials to benefit instructors and help infuse a spark in the classroom. The full complement of supplemental teaching materials is available to all qualified instructors
from your Prentice Hall Health sales representative.
Click on www.prenhall.com/replocator to find your representative.
Would an instructor package that offers you dynamic and interesting lectures with media rich PowerPoints be useful in enhancing your classroom presentation?
• Lecture Support Materials - Instructors told us about the increased challenge of creating interesting, dynamic lectures and suggested that we create a fully-loaded PowerPoint presentation system that is complete with ready-to-use lectures that include a multitude of illustrations, photographs, plus animations, and real-world videos.
How valuable is a complete testing program?
• Tools for Testing - Instructors asked for a complete testing package that is customizable to fit their needs. Additionally, they asked for these test items to be available in online course formats such as Blackboard and WebCT.
Instructor's Resource Manual (IRM)-This manual contains a wealth of material
to help faculty plan and manage the medical terminology course. It includes:
• An assortment of articles, teaching tips, games and activities for individuals or groups.
• Copyright-free handouts and exercises.
• Step-by-step lecture suggestions, outlines, learning objectives, and interesting facts and anecdotes.
• A wealth of extra “Did You Know” teaching pearls.
• A complete test bank.
• A sample course syllabus
• Information on how to construct test questions, how to put students at ease on the first day of class, how the various features of Medical Language meet the needs of all types of learners, and how to make the best use of the companion CD-ROM and Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/turley.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM-Packaged along with the Instructor's Resource Manual, this cross-platform CD-ROM provides many resources in an electronic format. It includes the following:
- The complete 2500-question test bank that allows instructors to generate customized exams and quizzes.
- A comprehensive, turn-key lecture package in PowerPoint format containing discussion points, along with color embedded images from the textbook as well as bonus illustrations, animations, and videos to help infuse an extra spark into the classroom experience.
- A collection of 22 Real People, Real Medicine career video profiles correlated with chapter content that can be presented in class.
- PowerPoint content to support instructors who wish to use Personal Response Systems. For more information visit www.prenhall.com/prs.
- Complete image library that includes every photograph and illustration contained in the textbook