· A discussion of the unusual “tandem” leadership of Putin and Medvedev underscores how Russia's political system is evolving and what the destabilizing consequences of overt rivalry between the two political leaders might be.
· An analysis of Medvedev's call for modernizing Russia's economy how the country might fail to keep up in the global competition for welath and power and how it might affect the regime's ability to maintain power.
· An overview of the impact of the global economic crisis on Russia is provided to illustrate the country's ongoing vulnerability to external economic shocks and the need for deep economic reforms.
· An update of Russia's dire demographic situation, which includes low birthrates, high mortality, and a declining population, explores the adverse effects on the public health and labor situations.
· Every chapter includes thelatest scholarship, examples, and data.
· Need help with a paper? MySearchLab saves time and improves results by offering start-to-finish guidance on the research/writing process and full-text access to academic journals and periodicals. Use ISBN 0-205-07399-9 to order MySearchLab with this book. To learn more, please visit www.mysearchlab.com[VM1] or contact your Pearson representative.
· With Passport for Comparative Politics, choose the resources you want from MyPoliSciKit and put links to them into your course management system. If there is assessment associated with those resources, it also can be uploaded, allowing the results to feed directly into your course management system's gradebook. With over 150 MyPoliSciKit assets like video case studies, mapping exercises, comparative exercises, simulations, podcasts, Financial Times newsfeeds, current events quizzes, politics blog, and much more, Passport is available for any Pearson introductory or upper-level political science book. Use ISBN 0-205-07411-1 to order Passport with this book. To learn more, please contact your Pearson representative.