|Balanced Introduction to Computer Science, A||
Balanced Introduction to Computer Science, A
|202.40||approx. 7-9 days|
For Introduction to Computing and the Web courses in departments of Math and Computer Science.
• Illustrations and Web-based tools illuminate key points and support active learning.
• Review questions end each of the computer science breadth chapters.
• Incremental exercises build upon one another; eventually new programs for solving interesting and engaging problems are created.
• “Common errors to avoid...” identify and discuss common errors and points of confusion.
• “Designer secrets...” provide problem-solving and program design advice in special sections.
• Nine laboratory assignments supplement the text, corresponding to each programming depth chapter.
Author Website: www.dave-reed.com/book
David Reed is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Computer Science at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. in computer science from Duke University in 1992, and subsequently taught and conducted research at Duke University and Dickinson College before joining the Creighton faculty in 2000. His primary interests are in artificial intelligence, programming languages, and computer science education, where he has published extensively on topics such as apprentice-based learning, Web-based programming, and innovative instructional methods in introductory computer science. He is a member of the Liberal Arts Computer Science Consortium and the Chief Reader for the Advanced Placement® Computer Science Exam since 2004.
“The textbook [Reed] explains a concept, shows the code, then give a pictorial example to reinforce that point. An excellent example is in chapter four when talking about ONMOUSEOVER and ONMOUSEOUT.” - Dr. Jenna Miley, Bainbridge College
“The thing that struck me [about Reed] was how the examples are presented followed by adding functionality, basically anticipating questions that a reader would have after doing the examples.” - Lionel Craddock, Bluefield State College
“The examples are illuminating and effective.” - Lionel Craddock, Bluefield State College
“This text [Reed] offers very clear explanations of difficult topics.” - Ralph Hooper, University of Alabama
“Reed's examples are relevant and fun; his language is clear and concise, and his use of the language is accessible to non-majors.” - Arnold D. Miles, Georgetown University
“The programming is presented in a well-organized manner; it builds smoothly.” - Arnold D. Miles, Georgetown University