Susan Weinschenk’s new book, 100 MORE Things Every Designer Needs To Know About People, is ideal for design and marketing students. It applies the latest research in psychology, neuroscience, brain research, and social psychology, to the design of technology products, including websites, apps, wearables, and artificial intelligence. Weinschenk combines real science and research citations with practical examples to make her 100 MORE Things engaging, persuasive, easy to read, accessible, and useful. This is not just another “design guidelines” book because it explains the WHY behind the guidelines, providing concrete examples and prescriptions that can be easily and instantly applied.
• 100 more must-read insights into what motivates people's behavior and how designers can use that knowledge to improve their work.
• Delves into the psychology and neuroscience research affecting new technologies including smart phones, wearables, and artificial intelligence, with practical advice on how to apply that knowledge to related design work
• Builds on the material in the original 100 Things Every Designer Needs To Know About People
• Content is chunked into 100 brief, discrete units that can be read in any order, making it accessible and easy-to-read in any format (print, web, mobile)
1. Your Brain On Stories: How The Brain Reacts To Different Information And Media
2. Human Motivation: What Makes Us Take Action
3. How Our Technology Influences Our Social Relationships
4. Attachment To Devices: Factors That Influence If/How/When We Develop A Social Relationship With the Device Itself
5. The Neuroscience Of Thinking
6. Embodied Cognition: How New Research On Vision, Hearing, And Other Senses Interacts With Technology Design
7. Empathy, Emotions, And The Influence Of Feelings
8. Unconscious Mental Processing
Susan Weinschenk has a Ph.D. in psychology and over 30 years of experience as a human factors and user experience consultant to Fortune 1000 companies, start-ups, government agencies, and non-profits. Her clients call her “The Brain Lady” because she applies research on brain science to predict and explain what motivates people and how they behave. As the CEO of The Team W, Dr. Weinschenk speaks, teaches, consults and mentors teams on the design of websites, software, apps, TV ads, physical devices, experiences, and physical spaces to make them engaging, usable, and motivating. Her clients include Medtronic, Walmart, Disney, Amazon, Mayo Clinic, and the European Union Commission. Dr. Weinschenk is also an adjunct faculty member of the University of Wisconsin, and writes two popular blogs: www.blog.theteamw.com and the “Brain Wise: Work better, work smarter” blog for Psychology Today. She is also the author of several books including 100 Things Every Designer Needs To Know About People, 100 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About People, and How to Get People to Do Stuff. She lives and works in Edgar, Wisconsin.
“Susan Weinschenk has done it again! This book translates the latest design-related scientific research into easy-to-grasp summaries, and then explains how to apply that knowledge in real-world design projects.”
– Roger Dooley, author of Brainfluence
"Susan Weinschenk has been at the forefront of behavioral design for years and with this book she's added MORE than ever."
– Nir Eyal, author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
“From psychographics and linguistic cues to the counter-intuitive perks of designing for disfluency, Weinschenk’s book is a psychological tour de force that delivers 100 of the most powerful scientific insights every designer needs to know.”
– Nathalie Nahai, Web psychologist and author of Webs of Influence: The Psychology of Online Persuasion