For courses in Financial and Managerial Accounting.
This package includes MyAccountingLab®.
Expanding on Proven Success with Horngren's Accounting
Horngren’s Accounting presents the core content of the accounting course in a fresh format designed to help today’s learners succeed. The Eleventh Edition expands on the proven success of the significant revision to the Horngren franchise and uses what the authors have learned from focus groups, market feedback, and colleagues to create livelier classrooms, provide meaningful learning tools, and give professors resources to help students inside and outside the class. First, the authors ensured that content was clear, consistent, and above all, accurate. Every chapter is reviewed to ensure that students understand what they are reading and that there is consistency from chapter to chapter. The author team worked every single accounting problem and employed a team of accounting professors from across the nation to review for accuracy.
This edition continues the focus on student success and provides resources for professors to create an active and engaging classroom. Through MyAccountingLab, students have the opportunity to watch author recorded solution videos, practice the accounting cycle using an interactive tutorial, and watch in-depth author-driven animated lectures that cover every learning objective. In addition, all instructor resources have been updated to accompany this edition of the book, including the PowerPoint presentations and Test Bank.
This package includes MyAccountingLab, an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to personalize learning and improve results. With a wide range of interactive, engaging, and assignable activities, students are encouraged to actively learn and retain tough course concepts.
MyAccountingLab should only be purchased when required by an instructor. Please be sure you have the correct ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
This title is a Pearson Global Edition. The Editorial team at Pearson has worked closely with educators around the world to include content, which is especially relevant to students outside the United States.
Integrate pedagogy with concepts and practical applications
- Effects on the Accounting Equation illustrations help students see connections between transactions, as well as how transactions fit into the big picture. Located next to every journal entry, they reinforce the connections between recording a transaction and the effect those transactions have on the accounting equation.
- Instructor Tips & Tricks throughout the text mimic the experience of having an experienced teacher walk a student through concepts on the board. Many include mnemonic devices or examples to help students remember the rules of accounting.
- Rooted in the authors’ teaching experiences over the years, Common Questions,
- Answered offer additional help with patterns and rules that consistently confuse students. Located in the text’s margin next to where the answer or clarification can be found, they help students better understand difficult concepts.
- Try It! exercises found after each learning objective give students opportunities to apply the concept they’ve just learned by completing an accounting problem. Links to these exercises appear throughout the eText, allowing students to practice in MyAccountingLab without interruption.
- 'Things You Should Know” — Students will find the Things You Should Know feature useful when preparing for the exam. This feature provides a brief review of each learning objective presented in a question and answer format. Students can also link to multimedia materials from within the Enhanced eText.
- Chapter Openers present relatable stories that set up the concepts to be covered in the chapter. The implications of those concepts on a company’s reporting and decision-making processes are then discussed.
- The redesign includes clean and consistent art for T-accounts, journal entries, financial statements and the accounting equation. New art types include clear explanations and connection arrows to help students follow the transaction process.
- Decisions boxes highlight common questions that business owners face, prompting students to determine the course of action they would take based on concepts covered in the chapter.
- IFRS icons provide guidance on how International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) differs from U.S. GAAP throughout the financial chapters.
End of Chapter Review and Summary Problems
- Comprehensive Problem 1 for Chapters 1-4 covers the entire accounting cycle for a service company. It is found at the end of Chapter 4
- Comprehensive Problem 2 for Chapters 1-4 is a continuation of Comprehensive Problem 1. It requires the student to record transactions for the month after the closing process.
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapters 16-20 covers fundamental managerial accounting concepts: job order costing, process costing, cost management systems, and cost volume- profit analysis. It is found at the end of Chapter 20.
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapters 1-5 covers the entire accounting cycle for a merchandise company. It is found at the end of Chapter 5.
- Comprehensive Problem for Appendix C. Uses special journal and subsidiary ledgers and covers the entire accounting cycle for a merchandise company. Students can complete this comprehensive problem using the MyAccountingLab General Ledger or QuickBooksTM software.
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapter 15. Students use trend analysi
New to this Edition
End of Chapter Review and Summary Problems
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapters16-20. Covers fundamental managerial accounting concepts: job ordering, process costing, cost management systems, and cost-volume-profit analysis.
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapters 22-24. Covers planning and control decisions for a manufacturing company, including a master budget, flexible budget, variance analysis, and performance evaluation.
- Comprehensive Problem for Chapters 25-26. Covers decision making, both short-term business decisions and capital budgeting decisions.
MyAccountingLab® not included. Students, if MyAccountingLab is a recommended/mandatory component of the course, please ask your instructor for the correct ISBN and course ID. MyAccountingLab should only be purchased when required by an instructor. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
- Enhanced eText: The Enhance eText keeps students engaged in learning on their own time, while helping them achieve greater conceptual understanding of course material. The worked examples bring learning to life, and algorithmic practice allows students to apply the very concepts they are reading about. Combining resources that illuminate content with accessible self-assessment, MyAccounting Lab with Enhanced eText provides students with a complete digital learning experience–all in one place.
- Try It! Solution Videos are author recorded solution videos that accompany all Try Its! Just click on the Try It! box and watch the author walk you through the problem and the solution.
- Interactive Exhibits allow students to engage with key exhibits within the enhanced eText. Students can work with journal entries, modify an exhibit’s data to see the resulting impact and effects, or watch a video explanation of key concepts.
- Accounting Cycle Tutorial–MyAccountingLab’s new interactive tutorial helps students master the Accounting Cycle for early and continued success in the introduction to Accounting course. The tutorial, accessed by computer, Smartphone or tablet, provides students with brief explanations of each concept of the Accounting Cycle through engaging videos and/or animations. Students are immediately assessed on their understanding and their performance is scored into the MyAccountingLab grade book. Whether the Accounting Cycle Tutorial is used as a remediation self-study tool or course assignment, students have yet another resource within MyAccountingLab to help them nail the accounting cycle.
- Learning CatalyticsTM is an interactive, student response tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking. Now included with MyAccountingLab with eText, Learning Catalytics enables you to generate classroom discussion, guide your lecture, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. Instructors, you can:
- Pose a variety of questions that help your students develop critical thinking skills
- Monitor responses to find out where students are struggling
- Use real-time data to adjust your instructional strategy and try other ways of engaging your students during class
- Manage student interactions by automatically grouping students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning
- Animated Lecture Videos—this pre-class learning aid, available for every learning objective, is a professor narrated PowerPoint summary to help prepare students.
Table of Contents
18. Introduction to Managerial Accounting
19. Job Order Costing
20. Process Costing
21. Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis
22. Master Budgets
23. Flexible Budgets and Standard Cost Systems
24. Cost Allocation and Responsibility Accounting
25. Short-Term Business Decisions
26. Capital Investment Decisions