|Modern Systems Analysis and Design, Global Edition||
Modern Systems Analysis and Design, Global Edition
For courses in structured systems analysis and design.
Prioritising the practical over the technical, Modern Systems Analysis and Design presents the concepts, skills, methodologies, techniques, tools, and perspectives essential for systems analysts to develop information systems. The authors assume students have taken an introductory course on computer systems and have experience designing programs in at least one programming language. By drawing on the systems development life cycle, the authors provide a conceptual and systematic framework while progressing through topics logically. The 9th edition has been completely revised to adapt to the changing environment for systems development, with a renewed focus on agile methodologies.
Concepts grounded in the systems of modern organizations
· The organization of this text parallels that of the Hoffer, Venkataraman, and Topi database text Modern Database Management, 13th Edition, to support systems analysis and design and database courses adopting both texts.
· The text clearly links all dimensions of systems description and modeling — process, decision, and data modeling — into a comprehensive and compatible set of systems analysis and design approaches.
· Standards for systems analysis methodologies and system design platforms are considered, with an emphasis on usability in both character-based and graphical user interface situations.
· Systems development and implementation are discussed within the context of change management, conversion strategies, and organizational factors in systems acceptance.
Roles, responsibilities, and mindsets of the systems analyst
· Extensive coverage of oral and written communication skills addresses systems documentation, project management, team management, and a variety of systems development and acquisition strategies.
· New - A section on Scrum has been added to the new edition, supplementing the long-included material on eXtreme Programming.
· Updated - An updated, extended section on information systems security in Chapter 13 includes new examples of systems implementation failure.
· Revised - Dropped and altered material reflects industry changes. Chapters 1, 6, and 7 no longer include computer assisted systems engineering (CASE) tools; the appendix on UML sequential diagrams has been deleted; and Appendix 7C is now about business process management notation.
· Three fictional cases illustrate systems development in modern organizations. They are visited over the course of the text and, in some cases, include discussion questions to promote critical thinking and class participation.
· Review questions, problems and exercises, and field exercises test students’ understanding of key concepts and their analytical skills, while helping them explore the practice of systems analysis and design in organizations.
· Updated - Screen captures have been updated throughout the text to acquaint students with the latest versions of programming and Internet development environments as well as user interface designs.
· Updated - Throughout the text, figures, tables, and related content are updated and refreshed.
· Updated - References to more than 100 books, journals, and websites appear throughout the text, at the end of chapters. This edition reflects the most up-to-date references.