The definitive genetics lab manual for over 60 years, this user-friendly volume stresses classical genetics, but includes some of the recent advances related to molecular and human genetics as well.
- The definitive genetics laboratory manual since 1952, Genetics Laboratory Investigations emphasizes classical transmission genetics while also including recent advances related to molecular and human genetics.
- Investigations accommodate courses taught in a variety of academic settings and include cost-effective options for exploring molecular genetics.
- This text is accompanied by a thoroughly updated Instructor’s Manual that provides suggested answers to questions in each investigation, helpful hints for setting up experiments, suggestions for further investigations, and updated lab supply vendor information.
New to this Edition
- New 4-color photos and figures have been added throughout the lab manual. Examples include new photos and illustrations of maize (Investigation 1), Allium mitosis (Investigation 4), linkage and crossing over (Investigation 11), E. coli (Investigation 17), and more.
- New problems and examples have been added to many investigations, covering topics such as Mapping the Human Genome (Investigation 15) and Population Genetics (Investigation 23).
- Updated content has been added throughout. Highlights include a new discussion on the human Y chromosome and linkage (Investigation 8), and a new section on imprinting and epigenetic phenomena in humans (Investigation 25).
- Updated instructor’s manual is available for downloading from the Pearson Instructor Resource Center.
- Pearson Custom Library allows instructors to select Investigations for inclusion in a custom lab manual that exactly matches course goals.
Table of Contents
- Drosophila and Maize Experiments in Genetics: Monohybrid and Dihybrid Crosses
- Principles of Probability
- The Chi-Square Test
- Cell Reproduction: Mitosis
- Meiosis in Animals; Oogenesis and Spermatogenesis
- Meiosis in Angiosperms: Microsporogenesis
- Polytene Chromosomes from Drosophila Salivary Glands
- Sex Chromosomes and Gene Transmission
- The Sex Check: A Study of Sex Chromatin in Human Cells
- Human Chromosomes
- Linkage and Crossing Over
- Genetics of Ascospore Color in Sordaria: An Investigation of Linkage and Crossing OVer Using Tetrad Analysis
- Open-Ended Experiments Using Drosophila: Locating a Mutant Gene in Its Chromosome
- The Genetic Material: Isolation of DNA
- Restriction Endonuclease Digestion and Gel Electrophoresis of DNA
- Amplification of DNA Polymorphisms by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and DNA Fingerprinting
- Transformation of Escherichia coli
- Gene Action: Synthesis of [beta]-Galactosidase in Escherichia coli
- Chromatographic Characterization of Drosophila melanogaster Mutants
- Bacterial Mutagenesis
- Gene Recombination in Phage
- Polygenic INheritance: Fingerprint Ridge Count
- Population Genetics: The Hardy-Weinberg Principle
- Population Genetics: The Effects of Selection and Genetic Drift
- Applied Human Genetics
- NCBI and Genomic Data Mining