- NEW! A major reorganisation of the text has made a much clearer text and progression of information, including:
- NEW! Information on the chemistry of living systems has been integrated into earlier chapters.
- NEW! Noncovalent Interactions in Biological Systems has been integrated as examples for Chapter 3.
- NEW! Chapter 5 now discusses enzymatic catalysis.
- NEW! Chapter 12 now discusses acetal formation by glucose.
- NEW! Chapter on Acid-Base Chemistry
- NEW! Coverage of Stereoisomerism preceding the introduction to reactivity and alkenes makes the subject matter easier for students to grasp.
- NEW! Organising What We Know about the Reactions of Organic
- Compounds lets students track their progress through the course, encouraging them to keep in mind the fundamental reason behind the reactions of all organic compound.
- NEW! Chapters on Radicals and Synthetic Polymers introduce students to this important topic.
- NEW! Chapters 16–21 have been rewritten to emphasise the connection between organic reactions that occur in the laboratory and those that occur in cells by using explicit comparisons.
Effective Teaching Tools and Pedagogy
- The most essential reactions for students taking this course are presented, helping students focus on core concepts and reactions they will need to know in their future careers and academic courses.
- Reactions are organised according to similar mechanisms to help students recognise patterns and increase understanding.
- NEW! Tutorials following relevant chapters give students extra practice so that they can better master important topics such as Acids and Bases and Drawing Curved Arrows.
- NEW! Includes contemporary and rigorous resources tied directly to the 2015 MCAT.
- Bruice’s clear and accessible writing style makes the material easy for students to understand.
A Strong Foundation for Problem Solving
- Thirty problem-solving strategies are each followed by an exercise that gives students an opportunity to use the problem-solving skill just learned. Students learn how to approach a variety of problems, organise their thoughts, and improve their problem-solving abilities.
- Many problems solved step-by-step throughout the text show students how to approach and solve problems before testing themselves at the end of the chapter.
- In-chapter Problems at the end of each section enable students to monitor their progress by checking their understanding before moving on.
Demonstrating the Relevancy of Organic Chemistry
- NEW! New sections addressing pertinent topics, including pericylic and polymer chemistry, radical chemistry (in the chapter with polymers), and thermodynamic and kinetics (in early chapters).
- NEW! 140 special interest boxes throughout the text show students the connection between organic chemistry and familiar aspects of their world. Examples include trans fats, Splenda®, dissolving sutures, artificial blood, polymers for contact lenses, the colours of fruits and vegetables, environmental adaptation, olestra, statins, sunscreens, chiral drugs, biodegradable polymers, flea control, ozone layer, carcinogenic hydrocarbons, cholesterol levels, lactose intolerance, and more.
New to this Edition
Updated Organization and Coverage of the latest in Organic Chemistry research:
- A major reorganization of the text has made a much clearer text and progression of information, including:
- Information on the chemistry of living systems has been integrated into earlier chapters.
- Noncovalent Interactions in Biological Systems have been integrated as examples in Chapter 3.
- Chapter 5 now discusses enzymatic catalysis.
- Chapter 12 now discusses acetal formation by glucose.
- Chapter on Acid-Base Chemistry
- Coverage of Stereoisomerism preceding the introduction to reactivity and alkenes makes the subject matter easier for students to grasp.
- Organizing What We Know about the Reactions of Organic Compounds lets students track their progress through the course, encouraging them to keep in mind the fundamental reason behind the reactions of all organic compounds.
- Chapters on Radicals and Synthetic Polymers introduce students to this important topic.
- Chapters 16–21 have been rewritten to emphasize the connection between organic reactions that occur in the laboratory and those that occur in cells by using explicit comparisons.
- Chapter 18 can be found on the Instructor Resource Center.
Effective Teaching Tools and Pedagogy
- Tutorials following relevant chapters give students extra practice so that they can better master important topics such as Acids and Bases and Drawing Curved Arrows.
- Includes contemporary and rigorous resources tied directly to the 2015 MCAT.
Also Available with MasteringChemistry®
This title is also available with MasteringChemistry—the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before, during, and after class with powerful content. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class, and encourage critical thinking and retention with in-class resources such as Learning CatalyticsTM. Students can further master concepts after class through traditional and adaptive homework assignments that provide hints and answer-specific feedback. The Mastering gradebook records scores for all automatically graded assignments in one place, while diagnostic tools give instructors access to rich data to assess student understanding and misconceptions. MasteringChemistry brings learning full circle by continuously adapting to each student and making learning more personal than ever–during and after class.
Learning CatalyticsTM is an interactive, classroom tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking. Now included with Mastering with eText, Learning Catalytics enables you to generate classroom discussion, guide your lecture, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. Instructors, you can:
- Pose a variety of open-ended questions that help your students develop critical thinking skills.
- Monitor responses to find out where students are struggling.
- Use real-time data to adjust your instructional strategy and try other ways of engaging your students during class.
- Manage student interactions by automatically grouping students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning.
Tutorials, featuring specific wrong-answer feedback, hints, and a wide variety of educationally effective content, guide your students through the challenging topics in biochemistry. The hallmark Hints and Feedback offer instruction similar to what students would experience in an office hour, allowing
Table of Contents
- 1. Remembering General Chemistry: Electronic Structure and Bonding
- 2. Acids and Bases: Central to Understanding Organic Chemistry
- TUTORIAL Acids and Bases
- 3. An Introduction to Organic Compounds
- 4. Isomers: The Arrangement of Atomsin Space
- 5. Alkenes
- TUTORIAL An Exercise in Drawing Curved Arrows: Pushing Electrons
- 6. The Reactions of Alkenes and Alkynes
- 7. Delocalized Electrons and Their Effect on Stability, pKa, and the Products of a Reaction • Aromaticity and the Reactions of Benzene
- TUTORIAL Drawing Resonance Contributors
- 8. Substitution and Elimination Reactions of Alkyl Halides
- 9. Reactions of Alcohols, Ethers, Epoxides, Amines, and Thiols
- 10. Determining the Structure of Organic Compounds
- 11. Reactions of Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
- 12. Reactions of Aldehydes and Ketones • More Reactions of Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
- 13. Reactions at the a-Carbon of Carbonyl Compounds
- 14. Radicals
- 15. Synthetic Polymers
- 16. The Organic Chemistry of Carbohydrates
- 17. The Organic Chemistry of Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
- 18. How Enzymes Catalyze Reactions • The Organic Chemistry of the Vitamins 1 (Online-only chapter)
- 19. The Organic Chemistry of the Metabolic Pathways
- 20. The Organic Chemistry of Lipids
- 21. The Chemistry of the Nucleic Acids
- Appendices I Physical Properties of Organic
- II. A-8
- Answers to Selected Problems A-12
- Glossary G-1