|Basic Soil Mechanics||
Basic Soil Mechanics
|72.80||approx. 7-9 days|
The fourth edition of this respected work provides a new examination of the approaches to understanding soil behaviour and the presentation of theories and models to be used in solving practical problems and design. The unifying approach of critical state theory plays a more central role in this new edition.
Recognizing the increasing importance of computer-based information, the fourth edition includes a CD-ROM in each text. The CD-ROM contains reference files, dictionaries, learning assignments and self-testing quizzes.
1. Origins and Composition of Soil.
2. Classification of Soils for Engineering Purposes.
3. Basic Physical Properties of Soils.
4. Groundwater, Pore Pressure and Effective Stress.
5. Soil Permeability and Seepage.
6. Stresses and Strains in Soils.
7. Measurement of Shear Strength.
8. Earth Pressure and Retaining Walls.
9. Stability of Slopes.
10. Settlement and Consolidation.
11. Bearing Capacity of Foundations.
12. Site Investigations and In Situ Testing.
Appendix A Eurocode 7: Geotechnical Design.
Appendix B Geotechnical Design: Factors of Safety and Partial Factors.
Appendix C Guide to Soil Mechanics Spreadsheets and Reference (on the CD-ROM).