A ground-up approach to foundational computer science.Computer Science: An Overview, 13th edition, is an introduction for students of all backgrounds. This edition contains over 1,000 questions and exercises to reinforce core concepts.This text is comprehensive and highly accessible, making it ideal for undergraduate studies in computer science.
Hallmark features of this title.
A structured approach that develops a practical, realistic understanding of computer science in your students.
- A bottom-up arrangement of subjects progresses from the concrete to the abstract.
- Allows you to teach your course your way as individual chapters and sections can be read as isolated units or rearranged to form alternative sequences of study.
Learning features to reinforce core concepts to your students.
- Questions/Exercises at the end of each section review the material just discussed, extend the previous discussion, or hint at related topics to be covered later.
- Social Issues questions are designed for thought and discussion. Many can be used to launch research assignments culminating in short written or oral reports.
New to this Edition
New to the 13th edition.
Enhanced full-colour design aid your students' learning with visual aids.
- Many figures and diagrams are now rendered more descriptively.
- Syntax colouring is now used to better effect for clarifying code and pseudocode segments in the text.
- Reflects the use of colour in most modern programming interfaces to aid your students' understanding of code.
Additional content to aid students working towards College Board Advanced Placement® Computer Science Principles ('CSP') exam.
- While the primary audience for this book remains university level introductory courses, this edition also draws on CSP content to better assist students and instructors either preparing for the AP® CSP exam, or taking a university level course that is intended to correspond with the credit from that exam.
- Includes many of the big ideas and computational practices codified in the CSP framework.
- Prior editions of the book have been used in pilot versions of CSP courses, and as a professional development resource for educators preparing to teach the high school version of the course.
This edition also contains revisions, updates, and corrections from the previous editions in each chapter.
Table of Contents