Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringGeology? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MasteringGeology. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource.
Enhanced for today’s students, the bestselling Foundations of Earth Science returns in a new edition with a bold new look, new contributor Callan Bentley, and a highly anticipated learning path that facilitates active learning. This brief, paperback version of the best-selling Earth Science by Lutgens and Tarbuck is designed for introductory courses in Earth science. It maintains its highly visual, non-technical survey and broad, up-to-date coverage of basic topics and principles in geology, oceanography, meteorology, and astronomy to foster student understanding of foundational Earth science principles.
- Art that teaches and motivates includes high-quality photographs and line art that were carefully selected to aid understanding, add realism, and heighten student interest. The art program is the work of Dennis Tasa, a gifted artist and respected geological illustrator.
- Emphasis on currency and relevance includes broad, up-to-date coverage of topics and principles.
- Strong Readability is achieved through the book's straightforward language, written to be understood. Clear, readable discussions with a minimum of technical language are the rule.
- Focus on Basic Principles is stronger than ever with the Eleventh Edition, fostering student understanding of basic principles while also addressing topical issues.
- Flexibility for the instructor is achieved through the text's adaptable organization. Realizing the broad diversity of introductory courses in both content and approach, we have designed each chapter to be as self-contained as possible so that material may be taught in a different sequence according the preference of the instructor.
New to this Edition
Four-part learning path facilitates active learning, allowing students to focus on important ideas and pause to assess their progress at frequent intervals:
Focus on Concepts – Learning objectives for each chapter
Concept Checks – Questions linked to the text’s learning objectives
Give It Some Thought – Questions that ask students to analyze, synthesize, and think critically think about geology
Concepts In Review – In this new approach to End-of-Chapter content, the authors break down the chapter by reviewing each Focus On Concept (Learning Objectives) individually. Providing readers with a very structured and visual review.
NEW! Bold magazine-like design supporting the learning path is visually appealing and provides an effective showcase for the program’s highly respected artwork by Dennis Tasa.
Smaller, more manageable content modules in each chapter make key concepts more accessible than ever.
NEW! SmartFigures are videos that digitally walk students through key chapter illustrations and are accessed in the printed text via scannable QR codes. Students can also access SmartFigures from the Study Area in MasteringGeology™.
NEW! GEOgraphics are contemporary, compelling visual representations that present complex information at a glance, simplifying students’ ability to synthesize and recall information.
NEW! Eye on the Earth feature engages students with active learning tasks, asking them to perform critical thinking and visual analysis tasks to analyze data and make predictions.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Earth Science
Unit I EARTH MATERIALS
Chapter 1: Minerals: Building Blocks of Rocks
Chapter 2: Rocks: Materials of the Solid Earth
Unit II SCULPTURING EARTH’S SURFACE
Chapter 3: Landscapes Fashioned by Water
Chapter 4: Glacial and Arid Landscapes
Unit III FORCES WITHIN
Chapter 5: Plate Tectonics: A Scientific Theory Unfolds
Chapter 6: Restless Earth: Earthquakes, Geologic Structures, and Mountain Building
Chapter 7: Fires Within: Igneous Activity
Unit IV DECIPHERING EARTH’S HISTORY
Chapter 8: Geologic Time
Unit V THE GLOBAL OCEAN
Chapter 9: Oceans: The Last Frontier
Chapter 10: The Restless Ocean
Unit VI EARTH’S DYNAMIC ATMOSPHERE
Chapter 11: Heating the Atmosphere
Chapter 12: Moisture, Clouds, and Precipitation
Chapter 13: The Atmosphere in Motion
Chapter 14: Weather Patterns and Severe Weather
Unit VII EARTH’S PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE
Chapter 15: The Nature of the Solar System
Chapter 16: Beyond the Solar System