This new addition to the Longman World Biography series integrates the latest scholarship on the life of Mussolini with the story of Italian Fascism.
Combines the story of Mussolini, the man, with the story of Italian Fascism. Explores the larger legacy of Mussolini outside of Europe and since 1945. Situates Fascism in a global context and exposes students to debates on historical interpretation. Provides students with a comparative framework for understanding European Fascism.
1. Rebel Without a Cause: 1883-1910.
2. The Political Chameleon: 1910-1919.
3. Mussolini and the Fascist Rise to Power: 1919-1925.
4. Architect of the TotalitarianState: 1924-1935.
5. Mussolini and the Cult of the Duce: 1925-1938.
6. The Limits of Personal Power: 1925-1935.
7. Mussolini, The Warlord: 1935-1938.
8. Mussolini and Hitler: 1936-1940.
9. Death of a Regime and a Man: 1940-1945.
10. The Duce's Legacy.
Notes on Sources.
'The writing is lively and very much to the point and, in such a short book, the survey provided is very comprehensive.'
Journal of Modern Italian Studies 2006