|Understanding the Business Environment||
Understanding the Business Environment
|109.30||approx. 7-9 days|
Understanding the Business Environment introduces the nature and environment of organisations to the first-time student of business. Clearly and accessibly, the book examines the external and competitive environment of business, as well as the structure, culture, resources and functions inside organisations.
This combination of both the internal and external environment of organisations is unusual, and marks this book out as particularly valuable for courses aiming to give students a rounded introduction to business.
It is written for students on undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in business, or business-related disciplines.
The following online resources support the text:
List of case studies
Teaching with this book
Guided tour of the book
1 The external environment
2 The composition of the external environment
3 The competitive environment
4 Inside organisations
5 Culture and organisations
6 Organisational behaviour
7 Human resource management
9 Operations management
11 Managing knowledge and innovation
12 Stakeholders, governance and ethics
Understanding the Business Environment provides you with a clear and concise introduction to all of the most important activities taking place inside and outside organisations.
Written by experienced author and lecturer Claire Capon, this popular textbook examines and explains:
- how political, economic and social conditions – both nationally and internationally – affect organisations of all types and sizes
- the roles and functions that individuals and groups perform inside an organisation
- how innovation, governance, and other key issues affect an organisation’s performance and success
Packed with features to make learning outcomes obvious, help you check your understanding, and encourage you to think critically, the third edition of this book also contains 24 new and engaging case studies including:
- long-standing global brands such as Microsoft, Coca-Cola and Cadbury
- newer names like Lush cosmetics, and the organic food industry
- businesses in the emerging economies of China and Russia, as well as the recent demise of Icelandic banks
So, if you are looking for an accessible and lively introduction to the study of business, then Understanding the Business Environment is the book for you!
Claire Capon is Senior Lecturer at Staffordshire University Business School. She is also author of another Pearson textbook: Understanding Strategic Management (2008).