|Harmonic Materials in Tonal Music: A Programmed Course, Part 2||
Harmonic Materials in Tonal Music: A Programmed Course, Part 2
|195.30||approx. 7-9 days|
For courses in Music Theory, Harmony, Comprehensive Musicianship, and Materials of Music.
Created for introductory courses in basic music theory and harmonic practice, this self-paced, auto-instructional text in two volumes has become a “classic” in the field. Since the students work independently through the programmed format of the text, instructors can concentrate on the more creative aspects of their course. From the wealth of clearly laid-out lessons and exercises, students receive continual feedback and reinforcement as they work through the sequence at their own pace. Also, a set of musical examples on compact discs accompanies the volumes, providing students with aural experience of tonal and harmonic material used in the text. Neither books nor CDs can be ordered alone. See below for ordering code.
Provide students with a solid foundation in music theory and harmonic practice:
Give students an opportunity to learn through listen and practice:
Changes to the new edition include:
About the Authors
Preface to the Tenth Edition
Preface to the Fifth Edition
How to Use this Text
An Important Perspective for the Study of Harmony
1. A Review of Seventh Chords and the Dominant Seventh.
2. Nondominant Seventh Chords.
3. Altered Nonharmonic Tones and Secondary Dominants.
4. Modulation to Closely Related Keys.
5. Borrowed Chords.
6. Augmented Sixth Chords.
7. The Neapolitan Sixth, Altered Dominants, and Diminished Seventh Chords.
8. Chromatic Third-Relation Harmony.
9. Modulation to Foreign Keys: Part 1.
10. Modulation to Foreign Keys: Part 2.
11. Ninth, Eleventh, and Thirteenth Chords.
Appendix A: Chord Symbols.
Appendix B: Piano Styles.
Appendix C: Glossary of Terms.
Appendix D: Orchestration Chart.
Bibliography for Further Study.
Index of Musical Examples.