|From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition||
From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Commemorative Edition
|106.40||approx. 7-9 days|
For undergraduate/graduate-level courses in Nursing Issues, Nursing Theory, Nursing Ethics and Nursing Service.
This presentation of clinical judgement, caring practices, and collaborative practice provides ideas and images that students can draw upon in their interactions with others and in their interpretation of what nurses do. It includes many clear, colorful examples and describes the five stages of skill acquisition, the nature of clinical judgement and experiential learning and the seven major domains of nursing practice. The narrative method captures content and contextual issues that are often missed by formal models of nursing knowledge.
Provides students with a non-deficit approach to describing clinical knowledge development and experiential learning.
Draws students into the risks and ambiguities inherent in actual clinical situations.
Encourages students to reflect about their own nursing practice.
Teaches students to describe nursing practice.
Familiarizes students with social and negotiated aspects of nursing.
Illustrates skilled know-how.
1. Uncovering the Knowledge Embedded in Clinical Nursing Practice.
2. The Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition Applied to Nursing.
3. An Interpretive Approach to Identifying and Describing Clinical Knowledge.
4. The Helping Role.
5. The Teaching-Coaching Function.
6. The Diagnostic and Monitoring Function.
7. Effective Management of Rapidly Changing Situations.
8. Administering and Monitoring Therapeutic Interventions and Regimens.
9. Monitoring and Ensuring the Quality of Health Care Practices.
10. Organizational and Work-Role Competencies.
11. Implications for Research and Clinical Practice.
12. Implications for Career Development and Education.
13. The Quest for a New Identity and New Entitlement in Nursing.
14. Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice.
Epilogue: Practical Applications.