Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringA&P? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MasteringA&P. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource.
With the Ninth Edition of Human Anatomy & Physiology, trusted authors Elaine N. Marieb and Katja Hoehn have produced the most accessible, comprehensive, up-to-date and visually stunning anatomy & physiology textbook on the market. Marieb draws on her career as an A&P professor and her experience completing her nursing education; Hoehn relies on her medical education and award-winning classroom instruction—together, they explain anatomy & physiology concepts and processes in a meaningful and memorable way.
In the most extensive revision to date–the Ninth Edition presents information in smaller and more digestible bites, making it easier to read and navigate.
The package contains:
Human Anatomy & Physiology, Ninth Edition
- The clear and inviting writing style engages students with everyday analogies that explain difficult concepts and hold students’ attention.
- A trusted and easy-to-navigate text features writing with a clean presentation that is easy to study from and navigate. Student Objectives appear at the beginning of every section of the narrative. These give students a preview of what content is to come and what they are expected to learn. All Objectives in the text are tied to correlating content in MasteringA&P®.
- Check Your Understanding concept check questions, which are tied to section Learning Objectives, ask students to stop, think, and check their understanding of key concepts at the end of each major section.
- The enhanced art program accelerates the learning process with large, clear anatomical figures, handy illustrated tables, color-coded flow charts, and realistic illustrations of microscopic structures.
- A simply stunning anatomy art program uses dynamic, three-dimensional, and realistic styles with dramatic views and perspectives. The art includes key anatomy figures that are beautifully rendered, using vibrant and saturated colors, and have excellent detail, depth, and a clear focus on key anatomical structures. These figures are not only visually dynamic but they also do a superior job of teaching key concepts to today’s student. Focus figures help students grasp key A&P concepts that they often have trouble visualizing and understanding, such as events at the neuromuscular junction, excitation-contraction coupling, the cross-bridge cycle, and action potential. These 22 key figures, with 12 new Focus Figures in the Ninth Edition, convey tough topics by walking students step-by-step through processes with easy-to-follow illustrations and explanations. Focus Figure Tutorials in MasteringA&P help coach the students through the figure’s tough topic.
- Muscle art features realistic, natural-looking colors and textures that are consistent in style from figure-to-figure.
- Blue text acts as the author's voice and explains processes. In some figures the text is broken into numbered steps to help students more easily understand processes one step at a time.
- Comprehensive clinical applications appear in numerous Homeostatic Imbalance examples throughout every chapter, Closer Look enrichment essays, and the new At the Clinic section, which offers End-of-Chapter Case Studies for 24 of the 29 chapters. Critical Thinking and Clinical Application Questions help students further apply their knowledge.
- System Connections highlight relationships between body systems. Additional information on system connections is available to students in the Study Area of MasteringA&P.
New to this Edition
- A new and revived art program further engages students.
- Twelve new Focus Figures help students learn tough topics the way they want–visually and with depth of content. All are assignable in MasteringA&P.
- New and improved histology, bone, and cadaver images help students make the connection between what they’re reading and real-life subjects.
- Clinical coverage and case studies have been expanded throughout.
- At the Clinic, a new case study feature, appears now at the end of chapter, presenting 14 brand new Case Studies to give students more practice applying what they've learned.
- Homeostatic imbalance sections are integrated within the text and alert students to the consequences of body systems not functioning optimally. These pathological conditions are integrated within the text to clarify and illuminate normal functioning. Every Homeostatic Imbalance feature has an assignable clinical question in MasteringA&P.
- Improved readability and navigability makes the text more accessible and easier to study from.
- Narrative has been bulleted wherever possible to make the text easier to read and navigate. Learning objectives are also integrated within the chapter, and denoted by the green check mark.
Table of Contents
1. The Human Body: An Orientation
2. Chemistry Comes Alive
3. Cells: The Living Units
4. Tissue: The Living Fabric
5. The Integumentary System
6. Bones and Skeletal Tissues
7. The Skeleton
9. Muscles and Muscle Tissue
10. The Muscular System
11. Fundamentals of the Nervous System and Nervous Tissue
12. The Central Nervous System
13. The Peripheral Nervous System and Reflex Activity
14. The Autonomic Nervous System
15. The Special Senses
16. The Endocrine System
18. The Cardiovascular System: The Heart
19. The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels
20. The Lymphatic System and Lymphoid Organs and Tissues
21. The Immune System: Innate and Adaptive Body Defensives
22. The Respiratory System
23. The Digestive System
24. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Body Temperature Regulation
25. The Urinary System
26. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
27. The Reproductive System
28. Pregnancy and Human Development