|Becoming a Strategic Thinker||
Becoming a Strategic Thinker
|72.00||approx. 7-9 days|
For courses in Critical Thinking, Freshman Experience, College Orientation, Study Skills, and Information Literacy.
This book addresses the biggest challenges facing students today: (1) dealing with the flood of information in all courses and from society at large; and (2) learning how to discern good information from bad. By addressing these challenges, this book shows students how to become a Strategic Thinker and thereby be more efficient in making decisions about what information to access and then what to do with this information in their courses and their lives.
Shows students in a much more detailed way how to think for themselves.
Builds students' skills that are essential in all departments in all colleges.
Allows students to keep the “big picture” in mind as they read through the chapter.
Gives students easy access to all definitions as they read through the text, enhancing understanding.
Provides students with lots of opportunities to practice the ideas and skills that are presented in the text.
Gives students a text that seems as if the author is talking with them rather than to them.
Allows students to the KSDI on their own to identify their own style for approaching and using information.
TECHNOLOGY AND PEARSON CHOICES
MyStudentSuccessLab 3.0 (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) is an online solution designed to help students 'Start strong, Finish stronger' by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. This TOPICAL based technology promotes student engagement through:
· Video interviews on key issues 'by students, for students'.
· The Learning Path Diagnostic offers 65 Full Course Pre-Diagnostic (Bloom's Taxonomy level 1-2) and 65 Full Course Post-Diagnostic Bloom's Taxonomy level 3-4)questions, and 20 pre-test (Bloom's Taxonomy level 1-2) and 20 post-test (Bloom's Taxonomy level 3-4) questions.
· ThePractice exercises improve class preparation and learning.
· Graded Activities build critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving abilities (includes Essays and Journaling).
· Instructors benefit from an Implementation Guide to easily assign and assess progress.
· Students have access to relevant FinishStronger247 YouTube videos, the Pearson student Facebook page chock full of tips, MySearchLab use for doing effective research, and more.
PearsonChoices - CourseSmart and Custom Publishing. Having choices for how to deliver course content is important.
· CourseSmart Textbooks Online is an exciting new choice for students looking to save money. As an alternative to purchasing the print textbook, students can subscribe to the same content online and save up to 50% off the suggested list price of the print text. With a CourseSmart e-textbook, students can search the text, make notes online, print out reading assignments that incorporate lecture notes, and bookmark important passages for later review. For more information, or to subscribe, visit www.coursesmart.com.
· Pearson Custom Publishing allows professors to create their own professionally produced customized textbooks and media products to best complement their course. We offer high-quality content, professional design, quick production, and reliable on-time delivery. The result is a valuable textbook that students will use, cover to cover, tailored to meet exactly the needs of the professor, students, and course. Visit www.pearsoncustom.com.
1. The Challenges.
2. Strategic Thinking.
3. Knowledge Styles.
4. Skill 1: Analysis.
5. Skill 2: Evaluation.
6. Skill 3: Induction.
7. Skill 4: Deduction.
8. Skill 5: Grouping.
9. Skill 6: Synthesis.
10. Skill 7: Abstracting.
11. Skill 8: Persuasive Expression.
In a thought-provoking manner, Potter-an expert on media literacy-lays out eight essential skills that will empower students to become insightful, independent learners. Through these eight skills, the book takes the concept of critical thinking beyond the traditional focus on one or two skills, yielding a positive, more constructive approach.Features include:
Written in a personal, engaging style, Becoming a Strategic Thinker guides readers through the hurdles of filtering information to get the most value from it, generating useful and accurate knowledge structures, and communicating that knowledge to others in a powerfully persuasive way.