Emphasising meaning and concepts, not just symbols and numbers
Statistics for Psychology, 6th edition places definitional formulas center stage to emphasise the logic behind statistics and discourage rote memorization. Each procedure is explained in a direct, concise language and both verbally and numerically.
- Provides a concise summary of definitional formulas mathematically, verbally, and visually so students can understand the logic behind the procedure. The authors emphasizes on accessibility for all readers. (ex. pg. 36)
- Gives examples of how a statistical method is reported in current journal articles (ex. pg. 350)
- Engages in the most current statistical theory and application
- “How are you Doing” exercises for students serves as a checkpoint for each chapter (ex. pg. 89)
- SPSS screen shots are included within the text to further facilitate learning. Examples in the text show students how to compute SPSS procedures and include a worked out example with screen shots. (ex. pg. 31 - 33)
- Datasets available at: www.pearsonhighered.com/aron
- NEW! Can be bundled with MyStatLab - provides instructors with a rich and flexible set of course materials and tools, and it offers students a personalized interactive learning environment, where they can learn at their own pace and measure their progress.
New to this Edition
- The correlation chapter has been reworked to better help students understand the logic of correlation coefficients by using the more intuitive formula for calculating correlation coefficients based on Z scores.
- Updates in content, examples, boxes, and controversies provide fresh learning material and reflect recent research, and the Using SPSS sections are updated to reflect SPSS Version 19.
- To strengthen the instructor’s resource materials, lecture outlines and teaching examples have been placed into PowerPoint slides to allow quick and convenient downloadable lectures.
- Instructor Features include: powerful homework and test manager, comprehensice gradebook tracking, complete online course content, the ability to copy or share courses and mange groups, and custom exercise builder.
- Student Features include: interactive tutorial exercises, eBook and multuimedia learning ids, a Study Plan for self-paced learning, and Stat Crunch.
- MyStatLab is an integral part of the Statistics course. MyStatLab gives students practice with hundreds of homework problems. Every problem includes tools to help students understand and solve each problem - and grades all of the problems for instructors. MyStatLab also includes tests, quizzes, eText, a Gradebook, a customizable study plan, and much more.
Table of Contents
- 1. Displaying the Order in a Group of Numbers Using Tables and Graphs
- 2. Central Tendency and Variability
- 3. Some Key Ingredients for Inferential Statistics
- 4. Introduction to Hypothesis Testing
- 5. Hypothesis Tests with Means of Samples
- 6. Making Sense of Statistical Significance
- 7. Introduction to t Tests
- 8. The t Test for Independent Means
- 9. Introduction to the Analysis of Variance
- 10. Factorial Analysis of Variance
- 11. Correlation
- 12. Prediction
- 13. Chi-Square Tests
- 14. Overview of the Logic and Language of Psychology Research
- 15. Applying Statistical Methods in Your Own Research Project
- 16. Repeated Measures Analysis of Variance
- 17. Integration and the General Linear Model