More than any other full-length text on the market, The World of Psychology supports student learning while helping students make the connection between scientific principles and everyday life.
The Seventh Edition of Wood/Wood/Boyd's World of Psychology continues to respond to the changing needs of today's diverse student population. Students and instructors will benefit from exciting enhancements in content, pedagogy, and design while enjoying the accessible and engaging presentation that have made this text so successful over the years.
- SQ3R learning method: The World of Psychology's commitment to learning begins with the learning method called SQ3R. Made up of five steps — Survey, Question, Read, Recite, and Review — this method provides a foundation for student success. Introduced in Chapter 1, the SQ3R method is integrated throughout the text to show the relationship between psychological theory and learning.
- Learning Objective questions: Every chapter is structured around specific learning objectives. Numbered learning objective questions in the margin of each section help to focus students’ attention on key information. These learning objectives also appear in the chapter outline at the beginning of the chapter and in the Summary and Review section at the end of the chapter.
- Think About It chapter openers: Each chapter opens with a new Think About It feature that encourages students to become actively involved with the content right from the beginning of the chapter. The openers invite students to complete an activity (i.e., a quiz, an experiment) that introduces the chapter content in a fun and interesting way and previews what students will learn about in the pages that follow.
- Remember It sections: Appearing after each major section, this quick review reinforces student comprehension by testing students on the material found in that section.
- Review It tables: These comprehensive summary tables help students consolidate major concepts, their components, and their relationships to one another in a visual format that provides a unique study tool.
- Try It activities: Found within each chapter, this popular feature provides brief applied experiments, self-assessments, and hands-on activities, which help personalize psychology and make it simple for students to actively relate psychological principles to everyday life. The Think About It and Try It features work together to emphasize the text’s active theme.
- Apply It boxes: Each chapter includes a practical application box that combines scientific research with practical advice to show students how to apply psychology to their lives.
- Summary and Review sections: Organized around the margin Learning Objective questions, this end of chapter summary provides students with a comprehensive study tool as well as a quick reference to the chapter's key terms, which are listed alphabetically with page numbers.
- Practice Tests: New to this edition, each chapter includes a practice test designed to test students’ knowledge of the chapter material. The tests include multiple-choice questions and essay questions that encourage critical thinking. Answers to the multiple-choice questions are available at the end of the text.
- Integrated media icons: Icons integrated in the text lead to web-based expansions on topics, allowing instructors and students access to extra information, videos, podcasts and simulations.
- These icons do draw attention to some of the most high interest-materials available at www.mypsychlab.com, although they do not (or by no means) reflect the totality of resources available there.
- MyPsychLab: For the World of Psychology, 7/e: This online, all-in-one study resource offers a dynamic, electronic version of the World of Psychology textbook with embedded video clips (close-captioned and with post-viewing activities) and embedded animations and simulations that dynamically illustrate chapter concepts. MyPsychLab also includes text-specific practice test questions for each chapter, which help students (or a student) master the concepts and prepare for exams. After a student completes a chapter pre-test, MyPsychLab generates a customized Study Plan f
New to this Edition
As with each edition, we have closely examined and thoroughly updated all aspects of the text’s content, organization, and pedagogy. Among the improvements made to the Seventh Edition are the following:
Student Practice Tests
At the end of each chapter students can take a practice test designed to test their knowledge of the material included throughout the chapter. The tests include multiple-choice questions and essay questions that encourage critical thinking, and students can find answers to the multiple-choice questions at the end of the text.
Icons integrated in the text lead to Web-based expansions on topics, allowing instructors and students access to extra information, videos, podcasts, and simulations. These icons draw attention to some of the most high-interest materials at www.mypsychlab.com, although they do not reflect (or by no means) the totality of resources available there.
Artwork and Photos
We consider the artwork in this text to be an integral part of the learning process. As such, we have carefully examined each figure of the text to make sure that it is accurate and provides a clear explanation of the concept being illustrated. In addition, we wanted the figures to provide realistic representations of biological systems and their context in the human body. In the Seventh Edition, we have added many new tables and figures to illustrate key concepts of the text, and we have updated a number of anatomical figures to include color-coded labels and definitions.
Photos and their captions also serve a pedagogical purpose. In addition, they should be as diverse as the people and topics that they represent. We have examined all of the photos in the text with these goals in mind. All of the chapter-opening photos and many of the interior photos are new to the Seventh Edition.
A number of organizational changes have been made in the Seventh Edition to improve the clarity of the discussions and overall flow of material.
- Most notably, the book has been shortened from 17 to 16 chapters, which we achieved by streamlining the former Chapter 17, “Psychology in the Workplace,” into an Appendix.
- An introduction to the SQ3R method now precedes Chapter 1 (“Introduction to Psychology”).
- Coverage of current trends in psychology has been moved to the end of the “Schools of Thought in Psychology” section in Chapter 1.
- In Chapter 2 (“Biology and Behavior”), the section “Discovering the Brain’s Mysteries” now follows “A Closer Look at the Brain.”
- Coverage of the connection between altered states and culture has been moved to the section on consciousness at the beginning of Chapter 4 (“States of Consciousness”).
- To augment the coverage of dementia in Chapter 9 (“Adolescence and Adulthood”), a section on memory loss has been added to Chapter 6 (“Memory”).
- In Chapter 10 (“Motivation and Emotion”), the biological, behavioral, and social-cognitive theories of motivation, along with coverage of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, have been joined together under one heading entitled “Foundations of Motivation.”
- Coverage of anxiety disorders in Chapter 14 (“Psychological Disorders”) has been reordered so that panic disorder now falls in the same section as panic attacks and agoraphobia.
- In Chapter 15 (“Therapies”), coverage of the various types of mental health professionals now falls under a new heading called “The Therapeutic Relationship.”
- Coverage of Milgram’s research in Chapter 16 (
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1: Introduction to Psychology
CHAPTER 2: Biology and Behavior
CHAPTER 3: Sensation and Perception
CHAPTER 4: States of Consciousness
CHAPTER 5: Learning
CHAPTER 6: Memory
CHAPTER 7: Cognition, Language, and Intelligence
CHAPTER 8: Child Development
CHAPTER 9: Adolescence and Adulthood
CHAPTER 10: Motivation and Emotion
CHAPTER 11: Human Sexuality and Gender
CHAPTER 12: Health and Stress
CHAPTER 13: Personality Theory and Assessment
CHAPTER 14: Social Psychology
APPENDIX A: Psychology in the Workplace
APPENDIX B: Statistical Methods