Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringNutrition? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MasteringNutrition. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource.
Bring introductory nutrition into focus with a functional approach.
The Science of Nutrition, Third Edition offers the best combination of text and media to help students master the toughest nutrition concepts in the course, while providing the richest support to save instructors time. This thoroughly current, research-based nutrition text is uniquely organized around the highly regarded applied approach, which organizes vitamins and minerals based on their functions within the body and is easily seen in the organization of the micronutrient (vitamin and mineral) chapters. Rather than requiring rote memorization, the authors present the micronutrients based on their functions (such as fluid and electrolyte balance, antioxidant function, bone health, energy metabolism, and blood health and immunity), so that students can fully understand their effects on the body.
The Third Edition further helps students master nutrition content both in text and online. Ten New Focus Figure visuals walk students through the toughest nutrition concepts in the course, making difficult physiological processes easier to understand.
Clarify Tough Topics:
- In-Depth mini chapters cover the four key areas of Alcohol, Vitamins & Minerals, Phytochemicals, and Disordered Eating, offering instructors flexibility in incorporating these key subjects into their course. The Vitamins & Minerals In-Depth serves as an overview of micronutrient basics prior to the functional chapters, while the other In-Depths provide a concise and compelling presentation of key topics.
- Food Source Diagrams provide clear, colorful, and informative images and data graphs of key nutrient food sources.
- Comprehensive Chapter Reviews include the major topics covered in the chapter, Test Yourself Answers that follow-up from the beginning of the chapter, Review Questions students use to assess their own retention and understanding of the material, Web Links that provide related web resources for further investigation, and a complete listing of References covering all the citations used in the chapter.
- A Test Yourself quiz at the start of each chapter piques students’ interest in the topics to be covered by raising and dispelling common nutrition misperceptions, with answers located at the back of the chapter.
- Recaps are brief paragraphs revisiting the core material following major sections that help students review and understand material as it unfolds and help instructors organize review points.
- An enhanced art and photo program includes high-quality, accurate images and illustrations that help students visualize and understand both simple and complex functions, and focus on the core information students need to learn.
Boost Critical Thinking:
- Nutri-Cases are case studies featuring recurring characters with various backgrounds and nutritional needs, drawn from each chapter’s content. By prompting students to think about these issues in a real-world context, Nutri-Cases help students apply the information covered in class to their own lives. In this new edition, the characters better reflect both the traditional core student audience as well as non-traditional students’ issues.
- End-of-chapter Nutrition Debates contain deeper, more detailed coverage of current issues and hot topics, pulled from the frontlines of the ever-changing nutritional field. These debates encourage students to be more informed and discriminating consumers of nutrition and health information, and to think deeply about complex issues. Critical Thinking Questions follow each debate to encourage further thinking and independent analysis.
- Nutrition Myth or Fact? feature boxes help dispel common misconceptions and encourage students to critically evaluate information they get from diverse sources including advertising, mass media, and their peers.
- Highlight boxes provide deeper insight into a variety of compelling topics that students will recognize from the media and popular culture. In this new edition, selected Highlight topics have been updated to reflect a current range of diverse nutritional issues.
- See For Yourself are self-assessment features offering brief, targeted activities that emphasize active learning and applied skills, and provide opportunities for students to learn about their own nutrition and health habits. They are available in various chapters on the Study Area of MasteringNutrition.
- Nutrition Label Activities teach students how to read and evaluate labels from real food products so that they can make educated choices about the foods they consume, and enables them to provide informed, balanced advice to potential future clients.
- You Do the Math boxes provide students with hands-on, practical calculations (such as determining their own Body Mass Index [BMI]), presented in a clear, easy-to-use format.
New to this Edition
Clarify Tough Topics:
- New Focus Figures displays concentrate on the toughest topics for students to learn and understand. These dramatic visual 1-to-2 page spreads also appear as tutorials within MasteringNutrition™.
- These figures are unmatched in their targeted and integrated treatment of key aspects in digestion, metabolism, and chemical processes in addition to bold, clear, and detailed information displays.
- Focus Figures also double as MasteringNutrition coaching activity topics, with hints and wrong answer feedback, that can be assigned and graded allowing students to be better prepared while saving instructors time.
- A key In Depth chapter has been adjusted to enable greater focus and smoother navigation. The prior “Phytochemicals and Functional Foods” In Depth is now comprised of just phytochemicals content, with the functional foods information shifting more logically to Chapter 15.
- Chapter material on Digestion, Metabolism, and Bone Health feature updated content reflecting current research and recommendations, enhancing the text’s relevance and clarity.
- Enhanced figurative and meal-planning art is included, providing more colorful and easy-to-follow graphics with no distractions.
- Chapter 15, previously Food Safety and Technology: Impact on Consumers, is re-titled and reconfigured to more fully address a range of consumer issues, including expanded treatment of food trends and movements, and more emphasis on the positive aspects of food safety information. In addition, food safety content is streamlined and revised to more effectively address areas of student interest.
- Chapter 19, Global Nutrition has undergone a critical review by a highly regarded field expert, providing more topical, expansive, and up-to-the-moment content.
- Nutri-Case scenarios, now one per chapter, include height and weight (in addition to age) information for each character at the front of the text, which reviewers asked for and which align well with our enhanced overall math coverage.
- In-text URLs cover a wide range of important linked areas that are identified throughout the text.
- Box references appear with citations within each box, for easier reference and access.
- In Depth mini chapters are now numbered for easier reference.
Table of Contents
1. The Science of Nutrition: Linking Food, Function, and Health
2. Designing a Healthful Diet
3. The Human Body: Are We Really What We Eat?
4. Carbohydrates: Plant-Derived Energy Nutrients
4.5: In-Depth: Alcohol
5. Lipids: Essential Energy-Supplying Nutrients
6. Proteins: Crucial Components of All Body Tissues
6.5 In-Depth: Alcohol
7. Metabolism: From Food to Life
7.5: In-Depth: Vitamins and Minerals: Micronutrients with Macro Powers
8. Nutrients Involved in Energy Metabolism
9. Nutrients Involved in Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
10. Nutrients Involved in Antioxidant Function and Vision
10.5: In-Depth: Phytochemicals
11. Nutrients Involved in Bone Health
12. Nutrients Involved in Blood Health and Immunity
13. Achieving and Maintaining a Healthful Body Weight
13.5 In-Depth: Disordered Eating
14. Nutrition and Physical Activity: Keys to Good Health
15. Consumer Issues: Food Safety, Production, and Impact on the Environment
16. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Pregnancy and the First Year of Life
17. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: Childhood and Adolescence
18. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle: The Later Years
Answers to Review Questions