Used by sites as varied as Twitter, GitHub, Disney, and Airbnb, Ruby on Rails is one of the most popular frameworks for developing web applications, but it can be challenging to learn and use. Whether your students are new to web development or new only to Rails, Ruby on Rails™ Tutorial, Sixth Edition, is the solution.
Best-selling author and leading Rails developer Michael Hartl teaches Rails by guiding readers through the development of three example applications of increasing sophistication. The tutorial’s examples focus on the general principles of web development needed for virtually any kind of website. The updates to this edition include full compatibility with Rails 6.
This indispensable guide provides integrated tutorials not only for Rails, but also for the essential Ruby, HTML, CSS, and SQL skills you need when developing web applications. Hartl explains how each new technique solves a real-world problem, and then he demonstrates it with bite-sized code that’s simple enough to understand, yet novel enough to be useful. Whatever previous web development experience your students have, this book will guide them to true Rails mastery.
This book will help you
- Install and set up a Rails development environment, including pre-installed integrated development environment (IDE) in the cloud
- Go beyond generated code to truly understand how to build Rails applications from scratch
- Learn testing and test-driven development (TDD)
- Effectively use the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- Structure applications using the REST architecture
- Build static pages and transform them into dynamic ones
- Master the Ruby programming skills all Rails developers need
- Create high-quality site layouts and data models
- Implement registration and authentication systems, including validation and secure passwords
- Update, display, and delete users
- Upload images in production using a cloud storage service
- Implement account activation and password reset, including sending email with Rails
- Add social features and microblogging, including an introduction to Ajax
- Record version changes with Git and create a secure remote repository at Bitbucket
- Deploy your applications early and often with Heroku
- A best-selling introduction to web development with Ruby on Rails by widely respected Rails expert Michael Hartl
- Suitable for beginning developers who want to learn web development and experienced web developers who want to learn Rails
- Fully updated for Rails 6
- 16+ hour video companion to the book included
New to this Edition
The Sixth Edition of Ruby on Rails Tutorial has been fully updated to be compatible with the recently released Rails 6. As with previous editions, the focus is on providing a thorough introduction to web development rather than on covering the latest features of Rails.
Key new content is an introduction to file upload with Active Storage. In addition, learn how to integrate Rails with Webpack and Yarn; and learn how to use form_with for a unified approach to form creation and submission.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: From Zero to Deploy
- Chapter 2: A Toy App
- Chapter 3: Mostly Static Pages
- Chapter 4: Rails-Flavored Ruby
- Chapter 5: Filling in the Layout
- Chapter 6: Modeling Users
- Chapter 7: Sign Up
- Chapter 8: Basic Login
- Chapter 9: Advanced Login
- Chapter 10: Updating, Showing, and Deleting Users
- Chapter 11: Account Activation
- Chapter 12: Password Reset
- Chapter 13: User Microposts
- Chapter 14: Following Users
Michael Hartl is the creator of the Ruby on Rails Tutorial, one of the leading introductions to web development, and is cofounder and principal author at Learn Enough. Previously, he was a physics instructor at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), where he received a Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching. He is a graduate of Harvard College, has a Ph.D. in Physics from Caltech, and is an alumnus of the Y Combinator entrepreneur program.