For system and network administrators and for MIS managers (who need to determine whether NIS+ offers what they need).
NIS+ (Network Information Service Plus…-) is a new network information service that is part of SunSoft's Open Network Computing Plus (ONC+…-) suite of products - which is installed on over 3.1 million nodes world wide. NIS+ is available on Solaris…- 2.x - whether Intel…-- or SPARC…--based, and is portable to other operating systems that support ONC RPC or ONC+ transport-independent RPC (TI-RPC…-). This is THE authoritative guide to administering NIS+.
- compares NIS+ to DNS (Domain Naming Service…- and NIS (Network Information Service…-).
- Part I focuses on the structure of NIS+ - what it has to offer and how it is put together: the NIS+ Namespace, NIS+ Tables and Information, NIS+ Security, the Name Service Switch.
- Part II provides guidelines for two different approaches to NIS+: a transition from NIS to NIS+ and setting up NIS+ from scratch.
- Part III presents step-by-step instructions for setting up the components of an NIS+ namespace, from the root domain to individual clients. The setup process is divided into building blocks (described individually), from which readers can choose for “building” a customized namespace. Also considers the use of NIS+ setup scripts.
- Part IV describes the NIS+ commands in terms of administration categories - e.g., commands used to administer credentials, commands used to administer groups, etc. Command descriptions begin with a summary of syntax and then go into details.
- includes Pre-Setup Worksheets and a list of NIS+ Scripts Error Messages.
Table of Contents
PART I. UNDERSTANDING NIS+. 1. Understanding Network Information Services. 2. Understanding the NIS+ Namespace. 3. Understanding NIS+ Tables and Information. 4. Understanding NIS+ Security. 5. Understanding the Name Service Switch.
PART II. PLANNING FOR NIS+. 6. Planning and Transition Guidelines. 7. Building a Prototype NIS+ Namespace. 8. Designing the NIS+ Namespace. 9. Selecting NIS+ Security Measures. 10. Using NIS Compatibility Mode. 11. Satisfying Prerequisites to Transition. 12. Implementing the Transition.
PART III. SETTING UP THE NIS+ SERVICE. 13. Setup Guidelines. 14. Setting Up an NIS+ Namespace Using the NIS+ Scripts. 15. Setting Up the Root Domain. 16. Setting Up NIS+ Tables. 17. Setting Up an NIS+ Client. 18. Setting Up NIS+ Servers. 19. Setting Up a Non-Root Domain. 20. Setting Up the Name Service Switch.
PART IV. ADMINISTERING THE NIS+ SERVICE. 21. Administering NIS+ Groups. 22. Administering NIS+ Credentials. 23. Administering NIS+ Access Rights. 24. Administering NIS+ Directories. 25. Administering NIS+ Tables.
PART V. APPENDICES. A. Information in NIS+ Tables. B. Pre-Setup Worksheets. C. NIS+ Scripts Error Messages. D. NIS+ API.