Fuses design fundamentals and software training into one cohesive approach!
All students of digital design and production–whether learning in a classroom or on their own–need to understand the basic principles of design. These principles are often excluded from books that teach software. Foundations of Digital Art and Design reinvigorates software training by integrating design exercises into tutorials that fuse design fundamentals and core Adobe Creative Cloud skills.
The result is a comprehensive design learning experience organised into five sections that focus on vector art, photography, image manipulation, typography, and effective work habits for digital artists. Design topics and principles include: Bits, Dots, Lines, Shapes, Unity, Rule of Thirds, Zone System, Color Models, Collage, Appropriation, Gestalt, The Bauhaus Basic Course Approach, Continuity, Automation, and Revision.
- Teaches art and design principles with references to contemporary digital art alongside digital tools and processes in Adobe Creative Cloud
- Addresses the growing trend of compressing design fundamentals and design software into the same course in universities and design colleges
- Times each lesson to be used in 50 to 90-minute class sessions with additional practice materials available online
- Includes free video screencasts that demonstrate key concepts in every chapter
- Teaches art and design principles in the context of contemporary digital art and the use of the powerful Adobe Creative Cloud toolset
- Covers vector art, photography, image manipulation, typography, web design, effective work habits, and more
- Extensive new coverage: motion and After Effects, Adobe XD, Lightroom, Adobe mobile apps, and much more
- Free video screencasts demonstrate key concepts in every chapter
- Instructors can use included lecture slides and instruction manual to shape course content and lesson plans
- Includes hundreds of updated screen shots, exercises, and references, plus more content online
New to this Edition
Reflecting her extensive recent conversations with educators who’ve used her First Edition, the author has thoroughly revised this new Second Edition. Changes include:
- New coverage of motion and Adobe After Effects, including exercises
- Demonstrations of Adobe XD and Lightroom, applications that didn’t appear in the First Edition
- New feature coverage, including Save for Screens, Kinetic Type, and Adobe XD Prototyping
- Updated discussions of file formats, including more coverage of SVG and HEIC
- More coverage of mobile processes, devices, and apps, including Adobe Paint Can, Adobe Capture, and the Color Inspiration Tool
- Hundreds of updated screen shots
- Extensively updated references, including new references to Stanford’s Design Thinking Process Guide and contemporary Human Interface Guidelines
Since Adobe InDesign is often taught later in art/design curricula, InDesign coverage has been removed from this edition.
Table of Contents
Introduction: What Are the Foundations of Digital Art and Design?
Section 1: Bits, Pixels, Vectors, and Design
1. The Dot, the Path and the Pixel
2. Drawing Expressive Lines
3. Modify Basic Shapes
Section 2: Digital Photography
4. Creating and Organizing Digital Photographs
5. Resolution and Value
6. Color Models
Section 3: Digital Manipulation and Fair Use
7. Repairs and Hoaxes
8. Select, Copy, Paste, Collage
9. Prototyping Experiences for Mobile Audiences
Section 4: Typography
10. Type and Image
11. The Grid
Coda: Revision Practices
Bonus Section available in digital books and online from Peachpit.com
Section 5: Effective Work Habits
14. Pagination and Printing
xtine burrough is a hybrid artist and educator. She is the editor of Net Works: Case Studies in Web Art and Design and co-author of Digital Foundations: Intro to Media Design with Adobe Creative Suite. She uses remix as a strategy for engaging networked audiences in critical participation. A Professor and Area Head of Design + Creative Practice in the School of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication at The University of Texas at Dallas, burrough is the Creative Director of LabSynthE, a laboratory for synthetic and electronic poetry.