Sams Teach Yourself Beginning Programming in 24 Hours explains the basics of programming in the successful 24 Hours format. The book's examples are easily readable and understandable by even those with no previous exposure to programming.
This book covers the absolute basics of programming: Why program? What tools to use? How does a program tell the computer what to do? Students will learn how to program the computer and will explore some of the most popular programming languages in use. This book will introduce students to common programming fundamentals using Python and will provide an overview of other common programming languages and their uses.
- The fastest way to learn programming basics – even with no experience, students will write their first program within minutes.
- Presents core programming concepts in the popular Python programming language and then extends those concepts to other languages.
- Perfect for the beginner who wants to learn programming but isn't sure which language to start with.
New to this Edition
- New coverage of web programming languages like HTML5/CSS3
- Outdated CD removed — readers can now download free compilers and related tools
Table of Contents
- Part I - Start Programming Today
- 1 Hands-On Programming
- 2 Process and Techniques
- 3 Designing a Program
- 4 Getting Input and Displaying Output
- 5 Data Processing with Numbers and Words
- 6 Controlling Your Program
- 7 Debugging Tools
- Part II - Programming Fundamentals
- 8 Structured Techniques
- 9 Programming Algorithms
- 10 Having Fun
- 11 Advanced Programming
- Part III - Object-Oriented Programming
- 12 What is an Object?
- 13 Anatomy of a Class
- 14 Methods and More
- 15 Inheritance
- Part IV - Other Programming Languages
- 16 HTML5 and CSS3
- 17 Scripting with PHP
- 18 Programming with C and C++
- 19 Java Everywhere
- 20 Programming with Visual Basic
- 21 Microsoft .NET
- Part V - The Business of Programming
- 22 How Companies Program
- 23 Distributing Applications
- 24 The Future of Programming
- A Glossary
- B Quiz Answers
- C ASCII Table
Greg Perry has written more than 45 books including many bestsellers. He has been a programmer, trainer, and speaker for more than 20 years. Greg was a professor of computer science at Tulsa Junior College teaching advanced programming courses. He also lectures at programming conferences across the country and is fluent in 9 computer languages.