|Real Digital Forensics: Computer Security and Incident Response||
Real Digital Forensics: Computer Security and Incident Response
|92.10||approx. 7-9 days|
About the Authors.
I. LIVE INCIDENT RESPONSE.
1. Windows Live Response.
2. Unix Live Response.
II. NETWORK-BASED FORENSICS.
3. Collecting Network-Based Evidence.
4. Analyzing Network-Based Evidence for a Windows Intrusion.
5. Analyzing Network-Based Evidence for a Unix Intrusion.
III. ACQUIRING A FORENSIC DUPLICATION.
6. Before You Jump Right In…
7. Commercial-Based Forensic Duplications.
8. Noncommercial-Based Forensic Duplications.
IV. FORENSIC ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES.
9. Common Forensic Analysis Techniques.
10. Web Browsing Activity Reconstruction.
11. E-Mail Activity Reconstruction.
12. Microsoft Windows Registry Reconstruction.
13. Forensic Tool Analysis: An Introduction to Using Linux for Analyzing Files of Unknown Origin.
14. Forensic Tool Analysis: A Hands-On Analysis of the Linux File aio.
15. Forensic Tool Analysis: Analyzing Files of Unknown Origin (Windows).
V. CREATING A COMPLETE FORENSIC TOOL KIT.
16. Building the Ultimate Response CD.
17. Making Your CD-ROM a Bootable Environment.
VI. MOBILEDEVICE FORENSICS.
18. Forensic Duplication and Analysis of Personal Digital Assistants.
19. Forensic Duplication of USB and Compact Flash Memory Devices.
20. Forensic Analysis of USB and Compact Flash Memory Devices.
VII. ONELINE-BASED FORENSCIS.
21. Tracing E-Mail.
22. Domain Name Ownership.
Appendix: An Introduction to Perl.
You can't succeed in the field of computer forensics without hands-on practice-and you can't get hands-on practice without real forensic data. The solution: Real Digital Forensics. In this book, a team of world-class computer forensics experts walks you through six detailed, highly realistic investigations and provides a DVD with all the data you need to follow along and practice.
From binary memory dumps to log files, this DVD's intrusion data was generated by attacking live systems using the same tools and methods real-world attackers use. The evidence was then captured and analyzed using the same tools the authors employ in their own investigations. This book relies heavily on open source tools, so you can perform virtually every task without investing in any commercial software.
You'll investigate environments ranging from financial institutions to software companies and crimes ranging from intellectual property theft to SEC violations. As you move step by step through each investigation, you'll discover practical techniques for overcoming the challenges forensics professionals face most often.
Inside, you will find in-depth information on the following areas:
Responding to live incidents in both Windows and Unix environments
Determining whether an attack has actually occurred
Assembling a toolkit you can take to the scene of a computer-related crime
Analyzing volatile data, nonvolatile data, and files of unknown origin
Safely performing and documenting forensic duplications
Collecting and analyzing network-based evidence in Windows and Unix environments
Reconstructing Web browsing, e-mail activity, and Windows Registry changes
Tracing domain name ownership and the source of e-mails
Duplicating and analyzing the contents of PDAs and flash memory devices
The accompanying DVD contains several gigabytes of compressed data generated from actual intrusions. This data mirrors what analysts might find in real investigations and allows the reader to learn about forensic investigations in a realisticsetting.
© Copyright Pearson Education. All rights reserved.